Monday, August 31, 2009

To do list: Buy Pepper Spray

Sunday I decided to take a walk in the neighborhood because I am a few blocks from the Mississippi River where there is an overpass and I wanted to see what kind of view there was. I passed several people sitting on their porches and riding bikes. Everyone was friendly by smiling and saying hello. Then I passed a guy detailing his car; he also smiled and said hello so I did the same. Then he commented on what a pretty smile I had and asked if there was any reason for it. I responded by saying I guess it is just this nice weather and enjoying a little walk.

He made small talk asking me if I was from around here (yes, i just moved for grad school), are you married (no, i don't think I'm ready for marriage at this point in my life), so you're just looking for friends (yes)---still thinking nothing of our conversation other than a friendly chat. I commented on the car he was working on saying "that's a nice ride"; he didn't miss a beat in replying "so when can I ride you? (me: nervous laugh) what your boyfriend wouldn't like that?". I was so shocked by the comment that I replied "No, have a nice day" and quickly walked away while getting out my cell phone to call mom on my walk back home.

Augh! Living in New Orleans is emotionally exhausting because you are constantly faced with the brokenness of the world everywhere you go.
Pray for me and this city.

1 comments:

Kim said...

What a disgusting pig! Bleah. Good for you for keeping your head on and just keeping on walking. And, yes, buy pepper spray.